Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kindle DX

I started subscribing to RSS feeds and I got distracted by one of the stories from slashdot.org, which is a handy site for both techy and nerdy news. (So far I like having the RSS feeds on my homepage (iGoogle) rather than in Outlook or Bloglines.)

Anyway, a new version of the Kindle has been released, this time with a larger screen. I do think e-ink is getting better and better and more and more like an actual printed page, which might help convince some people to transition from book to e-book. I'm not of a collector mentality, so I don't really care about the container- my interest in books is the content. If Kindle's ever become more compatible with libraries and their e-books, I'll be sold.

But I understand some people feel attachment to books themselves. I had a friend who told me that they would never let go of books for an e-book reader, because the experience of turning the page was too special to them. Of course, at one point the page was the latest technology, so I wonder if people were reluctant to give up turning the scroll.

This video has been around for awhile, but maybe some of you haven't seen it:

3 comments:

  1. Hysterical! I crack up every time I see it! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you actually used a Kindle yet? I'm with you in that, if it became well-integrated with the larger world of reading, I'd be sold, too. So long as it handles as well as they say. Having 500 books in my backpack sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has the first iteration of the Kindle and I think it is pretty comfortable for reading, but browsing Amazon on it or anything you are used to seeing in color isn't too exciting.

    I haven't had much of a chance to use it though, because she won't let go of it. The fact that my mom, who really hates technology and just let her Palm Pilot languish back-in-the-day, is so sold on the Kindle makes me think it is sufficiently book-like.

    ReplyDelete